Member Statements on ER7: Lisa Burnam for Prince George’s County Council, District 9

Statements from chapter members in favor and against ER7: Lisa Burnam for Prince George’s County Council, District 9 will be posted in this thread.

Statements will be accepted as they are received, until the deadline of 8:00 pm ET on Sunday, December 12, 2021.

Statement from Stu K - Against - regarding ER7: Lisa Burnam

I am voting against Lisa Burnam’s endorsement because this is not one of the recommended endorsements of the PEC. Chapter members can read the PEC endorsements here:

https://tinyurl.com/mdcpec2021

The political engagement committee recommended endorsing Del. Gabriel Acevero for Maryland House of Delegates District 39, Max Socol for Maryland State Senate District 18, Brandy Brooks for Montgomery County Council At-Large, and Zachary Parker for D.C. Council’s Ward 5 seat.

I am also voting against this endorsement because, when asked whether a labor-left coalition would emerge to support Burnam, it was revealed by a fellow chapter member that this is unlikely to happen. This type of coalition has been critical for the success of our chapter’s endorsed candidates.

As the PEC noted in their report: Our chapter has never succeeded electorally when we were not part of a broader labor-left coalition. Such a coalition is not a guarantee of victory, but the absence of one—based on outcomes from the past four years—almost certainly indicates a loss.

If I lived in Lisa’s district, I would vote for her, but for the reasons above and for those expressed by the PEC, I do not think our chapter should endorse in this race.